Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Falling for it, big time.

 I promise I didn't set this shot up. But it's funny to note the things you've got lying around your workspace. I think it's quite telling actually. Gel Pen, paper clamp, hair tie, lavender oil and parfume-- check. Laptop, beta mic, dead terrarium, cigar box, lost keys, Santa Maria matchbook, and phone chargers-- double check! 

 My friend Angela has the most awesome new beau... who dressed like this for Alyssa's roller skate b-day jam. 100 points to Loren!

 The gals. B-day girl at center. (I'm still wearing that Ramones tee)

 Alyssa's hubby (right) and best friend when they were tiny babies... they still act like this and it's wonderful.

 I took a nature walk in Mt. Home Village this weekend and welcomed the frailty of fall...

 As well as it's full bouquet of warmth.

 Red hot chili peppers soaking up the sun in Mt. Home Village.

 Nagelesque portrait of moi by Marc Piron.

Good fun at Largo last night. Some Dawes guys, some other guys + Sean Watkins and Blake Mills.


I'm back for round two in the same week? Un-heard of! I'm into it tho, so lets just flow with me. I was thinking today about the numerous dynamic elements that starting out in music has to offer. I have often imagined I could write a mini-series about the many fabulous and also super awkward moments I have encountered on this, my journey into a life of music. See, I love those moments, however strange or unbelievable they may be at times, and I think there is an element of truth in a lot of them that potentially resonates in the hearts of er'one who has ever been the new kid on the block, so to speak. For example, I remember a time I played a particular venue in Hollywood where the artist bathroom is the same as the audience's. I ran to the restroom straight after my set, and when my business was done and I was exiting my stall, in walked one of my three fans from the audience. She approached me right away. She was deeply touched by the lyrics in my songs, she loved my hair, she hugged me and held me by both of my biceps while she lavished generous compliments and encouragement onto me... All of this would have been perfectly awesome (obviously new kids love love) if she had given me 30 more seconds to proceed to the sink to wash my hands first. I didn't know whether to live in and relish the moment, or sacrifice it for the sake of sanitation. I just stood there like an Oscar Meyer Wiener (germ-a-phobe that I am), arms straight down at my sides, waiting for her to release me and also hoping that she didn't decide to use my used up stall next... Sowwy... Too much too much.
I digress.
Last night was one of the fabulous nights as the new kid tho. Sean and I went to Largo for a birfday party for Griffin Goldsmith (Dawes) and it was too too good! Of course there was the meeting of several musicians that I have already met several times before, who will literally never remember me until I either make it sorta big or turn around and moon them with my butt in order to make a serious impression. And since I'm trying to grow up some, I decided just to blithely make their acquaintanceship once more. Then, there was the open-house jam/ hang on the stage which I will show you below... Don't worry, I do not think that I'm cooler than you. In many ways sharing my enthusiasm over such things makes me more dorky than you will ever be. That's just the way it goes. I am not cool. Especially not when I try to be. I'm just looking for those who can appreciate a little social retardation in an indie rock songstress... good luck right? 
Oh, but this did make me feel kinda awesome-- I got to meet Jenny Lewis (for the first time) and she was precious and wonderful and her shoes were bitch-ing!!!
Ok, enough enough. xoxo E  


No comments:

Post a Comment